Sunday, December 20, 2015

Book - The Age of Innocence

Finally done with “The Age of Innocence” one of the classic literatures by Edith Wharton. The author won the 1921 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Story Summary: “Newland Archer, a wealthy young lawyer, is engaged to May, an innocent young woman who follows society's moral code. But Newland is very attracted to May's cousin, Countess Ellen Olenska, who has separated from her philandering husband. Ellen, who has spent many years in Europe, has a more artistic sensibility and shocks her staid relatives with her bohemian ways. Society, as well as these three main characters, plays a part in the resolution of this love triangle.” 

Honestly, I am not into Romance Novels, but I admit, this book is way better than Romance Novels written by Arabian authors by far. At least there are some beautiful wisdoms and great sayings. People would hate me for this but I won’t give it more than 6 out 10. Unlike other readers, I didn’t like the detailed descriptions the author used, I think she somehow overdid it.  matters Yet, I think the ending was tragic but loved it though…

A quote from the book: “In reality they all lived in a kind of hieroglyphic world, where the real thing was never said or done or even thought, but only represented by a set of arbitrary signs”. Another quote I liked: “It seems stupid to have discovered America only to make it into a copy of another Country”. One last quote: “Untrained human nature was not frank and innocent; it was full of the twists and defences of an instinctive guile” 

No comments:

Post a Comment